Advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing for a business:
Cloud computing can provide your business with a number of different services that are simple to use. It can cover the majority of a business’s software needs such as email archiving, systems applications access, shared calendars, data backup and encryption.
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing for any type/size business:
Business data benefit:
- Secure access to the business’s data anywhere, any time.
- Company’s files are saved securely with backups.
- Extra security permission options available for different user access to files. Giving staff secure access to company data from anywhere.
- Backups for devices are automated and backup times can be set to save end users the effort of remembering (also ensuring that data is updated regularly).
- Control over what should and what shouldn’t be backed up.
- Automatically compresses data files and eliminates duplicates.
- Easily restores or transfers data to a device from backed up files.
- Most cloud computing services offer businesses the ability to integrate their current software with the cloud-based software.
- Automated email backups and archiving (sent and received emails).
- Able to access emails from any device, anytime, anywhere through Outlook or a web portal.
- Shared calendars, contacts and tasks.
- Any device can be used to access the business’s data.
- No large up-front investment is needed for a cloud based service solution for a business and there are no extra costs for maintenance of hardware.
- The cloud service provider updates and maintains the hardware and software, making it their responsibility and not that of the business. This allows the business to concentrate on other aspects to improve the business.
- For a cloud-based application, the business does not have to upgrade software every time there is a new version as this is updated real-time on the network without IT staff having to do manual installations. This makes it a more cost-effective solution.
- When moving over to a new cloud provider, the business does not have to upgrade their hardware or purchase new software to access the cloud-based system.
- Storing files on the cloud means using less paper and automatically decreasing storage space needed and help decrease paper usage and printing cost of the company (this depends on your company’s policy of keeping files).
- Businesses only have to pay for the storage space and software usage.
- Branches in different regions can easily share documents and workflows.
- Improves customer service with employees that can easily access the cloud based system when travelling to see customers.
- When a business’s needs increase, they can easily up-scale their cloud capacity or if it decreases, scaling down can be done at a moment’s notice.
- All staff members get updates in real time, keeping everyone in the business on the same page.
- Allows staff to work on and update the same file instead of creating a number of versions as it passes from one employee to the next.
- Promotes and improves collaboration between team members even if they are not in the same office.
Security and consistent benefit:
- Protection of sensitive data.
- Each business has secure access to their data anywhere, at anytime, on any device.
- Cloud computing is more reliable and consistent with a 24/7, 99.99% up time; however, the one thing that can influence the use of the cloud would be the internet connection at the time of use.
- A business does not have control of the backend structure and can only control and manage the applications and data.
- Updates of the software and security depend on the cloud provider.
- When downtime of the cloud service provider does happen, it is out of the business’s control, not knowing what is causing the problem.
- Cloud computing relies on an internet connection and if the internet is down or slow this will affect the use of the cloud.
If you have been thinking of implementing a cloud based storage system, you can request a free quote or more information from us by emailing email@example.com.